Friday, November 6, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 1, Chapter 10 // Strider

This is one of my favorite chapters. It's just so good. Humor, tension; hobbits being sensible; and a dark mysterious stranger, grim yet with flashes of gentleness. Yup. Definitely a favorite. Not to mention that I love the Butterbur bits. And Nob is a brick.

And of course there's the sheer, heart-stopping poetry:

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king."

*always major tingles... and emotional sniffs <333* I'm curious, did this passage take you by surprise at all? Or were you looking forward to it with eager anticipation? :)

A lot is covered in this chapter, and so smoothly it might be easy to miss how pivotal it is in continuing to transition us from the lighter-hearted, rambly adventures of the beginning to the hard-edged wilderness we'll soon be entering. We get little hints and shadows of Strider's backstory and find, too he is much older than he appears. The Black Breath is made mention of for the first time. And we now also have a Clear Action Plan for the next stage of the journey. (Was anyone else smiling when Butterbur discovers Merry went for a walk and says, "Well, you do want looking after and no mistake: your party might be on a holiday!") 

We also get Frodo's quote about the servants of the Enemy: "I think one of his spies would -- well, seem fairer and feel fouler, if you understand." "I see," laughed Strider. "I look foul and feel fair. Is that it?"

Earlier on Strider says, "...caution is one thing and wavering is another. You will never get to Rivendell now on your own, and to trust me is your only chance." I know it's not specifically talking about this, but -- as someone who is a chronic over-thinker, analyzing every possible future scenario in depth before committing to the first step of any of them -- it got me thinking how Tolkien juxtaposes wisdom, caution, and risk altogether in this one little moment. Deliberate, yes. Think carefully, yes. But then firmly make up your mind and take risks.

Last but not least -- with Aragorn, Butterbur, and Nob -- our help-found-round-unexpected-corners theme is coming popping up again. I love how, after Gandalf's letter is read, Butterbur's caution melts away and suddenly everyone becomes a close little circle -- small players some of them, but each and every one willing to have each others back and do anything they possibly can -- however small it might initially seem -- to stand together against the darkness and the terrifying unknown. It's just all around wonderful. <3  


Quotes:

  • "PPPS. I hope Butterbur sends this promptly. A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-room: thing wanted always buried. If he forgets, I shall roast him. Fare Well!" This one always makes me laugh. I need to use it more in everyday life.
  • "...I did not intend to tell you all about myself at once. I had to study you first, and make sure of you. The Enemy has set traps for me before now. ...I must admit,' he added with a queer laugh, 'that I hoped you would take to me for my own sake. A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship."
  • After Sam's doubts: "He stood up, and seemed suddenly to grow taller. In his eyes gleamed a light, keen and commanding. Throwing back his cloak, he laid his hand on the hilt of a sword that had hung concealed by his side. They did not dare to move. ...'But I am the real Strider, fortunately,' he said, looking down at them with his face softened by a sudden smile. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will.'
 

For thought:

  • Practically speaking, when making decisions do you think the line between wavering and proper caution is always easy to see in real life?
  • Were you surprised by the idea of Aragorn himself being pursued and hunted down even before he joined with the hobbits? (For some reason that little line had always slipped by me.)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe we're almost done with book 1! This has been so much fun! https://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2020/11/lotr-read-along-fellowship-of-ring.html

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!