Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 2, Chapter 10 // The Breaking of the Fellowship

Whew! There's so much action in here, rolling right the way up to the cliffhanger ending; and so much development, plot point and theme wise.

As far as Boromir falling under the power of the Ring (or rather, maybe, his momentary madness, because he comes out of it), this time round I was noticing -- not so much the temptation to grasp ultimate power, though that's definitely present -- but all the contrasts Tolkien is making. The temptation's always there to try and use the devil's own means to fight, and it can all look very logical. Over and against such grandly 'logical' plans, the path of faithfulness we're called to in the face of real darkness sometimes looks like sheer insanity, impossible and difficult and incredibly, hopelessly small.

And we have dear faithful Sam coming into his own, and the further bond of real, close camaraderie and friendship emerging between him and Frodo. Which warms my heart. <3

I also like the part with Frodo at the top of Amon Hen. It reminds me of Moses looking over the land, and as Frodo and Sam will be so cut off from everyone else (well, pretty entirely) for the rest of the quest I really really love how Frodo gets this glimpse of everything before he goes. He gets to know and see what he's going to toil and fight for, the battlefields where all his friends will be playing out their parts as he does his. I don't know.... it just gives me tingles.

~

*deep breath and back to business* We finished FOTR, everyone!! *high fives all round* I'm so excited to start The Two Towers. I'm tossing round the idea of bumping up to three chapters a week (ha, laughing at self xD), but I almost think the momentum might help keep me on track/a decent posting schedule. (Otherwise it's like too much time elapses and it's hard to remember to get the post up...) At the moment I think I'll wait for feedback/plan to start TTT the week of the 17th. 

So! On that note what do y'all think about three chapters?


Quotes:

  • "The summit of Tol Brandir was tipped with gold."
  • "Frodo rose to his feet. A great weariness was on him, but his will was firm and his heart lighter."

 

For thought:

  • I have a big juicy thought running through my mind re Frodo crouching under the seat, fighting the power of the Eye, and the 'other point of power' that flashes to his mental aid etc., but I don't want to give away any delicious spoilers, so I'll exercise great self restraint and maybe we'll discuss it later. ;) 

    As we're wrapping up this section do you have any concluding thoughts popping to mind regarding this chapter or The Fellowship as a whole?

2 comments:

  1. I'm up for 3 chapters a week! (She recklessly promises, knowing full well she has 2 books to read for 2 different book groups by the end of next week...)

    I had really never drawn the parallel between Frodo at Amon Hen and Moses, but that is excellent and I dig it. I definitely like that Frodo gets to see some of the wider world, to sort of remind him just how much depends on him. In an encouraging sort of way, I think?

    The part with Boromir taking the ring is so tense, if you don't know whether or not he gets it. My 10-yr-old, who is reading this for the first time, said she was pretty worried Boromir was going to get it and we'd have to spend a lot of time chasing him or something. I've just known how that goes for so long that I take it for granted, but rereading it this time with her comment in mind, I saw how really tense that part can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much to say about this chapter but 3 chapters a week sounds good to me!

    Sam does really come into his own here -- and in the previous chapter too when he figures out what's going on with Frodo.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!