Thursday, January 21, 2021

The Two Towers // Book 3, Chapter 1 // The Departure of Boromir

I AM SO EXCITED TO BE STARTING TWO TOWERS!! I forgot how many of my favorite events happen in here and I'm looking forward to so many deliciously quotable, tingly sections. <333 *rubbing hands in anticipation of all the splendors lying in wait*

And thank you for your feedback! I know posting on Thursday doesn't look very promising, but I am hoping to do three chapters a week. Because I'm so excited. And I think it'll work well. 

Okay, so let's do this thing before I start blathering even more incoherently. xD

~

This first chapter drops us right into the action, moments after we left off in The Fellowship. And straightaway it's very very sad, but also triumphant, with Boromir proving himself a true and faithful man, a worthy and most doughty warrior. It's heartbreaking, but I love how he defends Merry and Pippin to the last. And you can see how he genuinely loves his people... they're his last thought. The little moment with Aragorn commending him makes me Very Happy. (And I'm determined not to drop spoilers here, but I also love how it ties in/kinda foreshadows Certain Events that happen later.)

Finally, after ongoing debate we have our remaining three setting out on their grand and desperate venture, which makes me want to cheer (and I may or may not be grinning ridiculously at the computer screen as I write this).

Chapter 2 here we come!


Quotes:

  • "...we have no time to ponder riddles,' said Gimli. 'Let us bear Boromir away!' 'But after that we must guess the riddles, if we are to choose our course rightly,' answered Aragorn. 'Maybe there is no right choice,' said Gimli."
  • "Yes,' said Aragorn, 'we shall need the endurance of Dwarves. But come! With hope or without hope we will follow the trail of our enemies. And woe to them, if we prove the swifter! We will make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds: Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the Three Hunters!"
  • "They passed away, grey shadows in a stony land."

 

For thought:

  • I thiiiink this version of Lament for Boromir is my top favorite of all the Tolkien songs entirely. It makes me want to cry and has definitely been a favorite for a long LONG time. <3 The two voices and the piano are incredible. Set your volume as high as you can and be sure to give it a listen. :) HERE'S THE LINK.

7 comments:

  1. Sigh. This chapter always makes me cry, for obvious reasons. I love Boromir's valiant death, and his atoning for his fall. His care for the "little ones" is so charming all through his journey with the fellowship, and he defends to them to the very end. Sigh.

    Interesting rendition of the lament, that you linked to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      Yes, I definitely think of you during this chapter. ;) And I think Boromir's care for the hobbits is what's made me appreciate his character more on each reread.

      Glad you found it interesting!

      Delete
  2. I didn't cry but it is very sad.

    That version of the lament sounds a bit... overwrought to me, I guess? My favorite is by Clamavi De Profundis:
    https://youtu.be/2F9ADVDSZLw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      It's sad, but overall the chapter also actually feels kinda hopeful, doesn't it? Poignant comes to mind as a good description.

      Haha, somehow I just knew you were going to say that! ;D

      Delete
  3. I liked the fact that Boromir's death wasn't dragged out. A few words to Aragorn and then gone. Maybe it's heartless, but sometimes death scenes are too drawn out and overemotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy Miranda,
      I agree. When well done, it's definitely a situation where less is more. I feel too like it's a moment possibly really inspired by the Norse sagas/Scandinavian influence, in that deep moment where everyone pauses and says, "That was a good death." (I've got a lot of Swede in my family heritage and it's possible I'm rather crazily fascinated by the topic. ;))

      Delete
  4. Just FYI in case you are interested: I have been reading along with the lectures from Corey Olsens LotR seminar on Youtube and started TTT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVW5DqBK6UI&t=3126s
    at 45 min in - 1:07 (about 20 minutes) there is a great discussion of the Lament for Boromir. I think it might be my favorite Tolkien poem.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!