Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 1, Chapter 1 // A Long-Expected Party

 
(Funny anecdote: as I recall, at our wedding reception the folks helping in the kitchen didn't want 
the doorways getting clogged up, so we put up this same notice. Just thought you'd all enjoy that. xD)

Ok! On to the story proper. I always feel like this chapter is a (fairly) lighthearted extension of The Hobbit. What with kind of being in a happy little Shire bubble and of course all the feasting and wine and cakes and good things. Lots and lots of good things. And the general jollity.

I particularly noticed how smoothly Tolkien transitions us from Bilbo to Frodo. One thing I always forget about Frodo is that pretty much the first real glimpse we get into him, is that he's holding back laughter. I do remember touching on this a little with a character study I wrote on him a few years ago, but I wanna hold on to that this time too, seeing how his character develops. He sees the humor around him (you get the sense in a bit of an Elizabeth Bennet-ish sort of fashion), but also with that deep sensitivity and love for ethereal beauty.

Small notes:

1) I was surprised that I actually liked Bilbo more in this chapter than I have on previous reads

2) I love the fireworks <3

3) Story wise, I also like how the dwarves and other folk helping are kept mysterious -- an inner circle -- and so we're already feeling the allure of wide wild mysterious places beyond the border of the Shire.

Quotes:

"...hobbits were easy-going with their children in the matter of sitting up late..." 

"...their cousin, Bilbo, had been specializing in food for many years and his table had a high reputation."

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

"I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains; but he is still in love with the Shire, with woods and fields and little rivers."

For thought:

-- Have you read The Hobbit?

-- What do you think of Bilbo's exit plan?

7 comments:

  1. I have just started my reread. one of my favorite quotes:

    "There were rockets like a flock of scintillating birds singing with sweet voices. There were green trees with trunks of dark smoke: their leaves opened like a whole spring unfolding in a moment, and their shining branches dropped glowing flowers down upon the hobbits, disappearing with a sweet scent just before their touched their upturned faces. There were fountains of butterflies that flew glittering into the trees; there were pillars of coloured fires that rose and turned into eagles, or sailing ships, or a phalanx of flying swans; there was a red thunderstorm and a shower of yellow rain; there was a forest of silver spears that sprang suddenly into the air with a yell like an embattled army, and and came down again into the Water with a hiss like a hundred hot snakes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      So happy to find your comment! Will you be reading with us or at your own pace? Either way, feel free to pop in any time and would love to have your thoughts and comments.

      Ooh, yes indeedy! I love that fireworks description. <3 It's like poetry. So beautiful; and building and building with excitement till you get to the '...spears that sprang suddenly into the air with a yell like an embattled army...'

      Delete
    2. I think I will try to read along but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. I've read the Hobbit at least 4 times, but only truly enjoyed it this last time, when I read it aloud to my kids.

    Bilbo's exit plan is much too flamboyant for my own taste, but quite humorous.

    I was really noticing how much subtle foreshadowing is going on in this chapter. Sam is spoken of as being "Crazy about stories of the old days," and Gandalf tells Frodo that "odd things may happen to people that have such treasures." Even in the first tiny section, the people of Hobbiton say of Bilbo's long life, "it will have to be paid for... it isn't natural, and trouble will come of it!" Wow, so much foreshadowing, and so deftly woven in.

    Also, it struck me when Bilbo was refusing to give up the ring how much of a hold it has on his mind. He says, "I'll do as I choose and go as I please," but... it's the ring that is choosing and trying to make him go where it can be found. It's like us with the devil's temptations -- we THINK that we're making our own choices and going where WE want to, so often, when we're actually just responding to his lures and chasing after his false promises. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      Oh good! I think storytime is much the best way to go about reading The Hobbit. ;)

      On Bilbo's exit plan... yes, indeed. Of course, it's a fantastic hobbit-y scene all round, but I was thinking how funny it is (even with rewrites) that Tolkien didn't adjust that to be less publicly conspicuous, etc. It's easy to forget later, but it kind of underlines how much even Gandalf didn't know yet at this point. So that's interesting.

      I've thought of the Ring/sin a lot, but hadn't thought of it in terms of the devil before. Good points and lots of food for thought.

      Delete
  3. This chapter was so much fun. I loved getting an inside look of he lives of the hobbits and also a little background on Frodo as well. Here's my full review: https://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2020/10/lotr-read-along-chapter-i-long-expected.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy Miranda,
      Isn't it just charming? Oh lovely! I'll pop over and take a proper look asap.

      Delete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!