Monday, October 5, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 1, Chapter 2 // The Shadow of the Past


Also known as the First Long Chapter Where Much Is Explained, I feel like this is where we go out of Hobbit territory and we start seeing the edges of momentous things.

And I forgot the mention of Ents in this chapter! I always think of them as being a bit of a surprise further in. But nope, here they are right at the beginning. So that's neat.

I love the short description of Aragorn -- almost easy to miss in passing -- but packed with grim mystery, and tingles, eh?

Then as relates to what Gandalf says regarding not killing Gollum... I'm really looking forward to mulling again over the whole concept of 1) how we don't always see the ultimate reason for something and 2) sometimes repentance from any one person/character looks definitively impossible, but it doesn't matter, the final call isn't ours to make. We can only make decisions based on what's right and what seems wise at a specific time, and the role we've been called to play. Which is all a discussion of Providence, I guess.

And this might seem self-evident to everyone else, but it just smacked into me again. The Ring twists and deadens those in its thrall. So isn't it fascinating that Gandalf says Bilbo took such little hurt from the Ring because he began his holding of it with pity (v. murder in his heart) and here at this point Frodo has no pity, but then over the course of the story matures into it even while already holding the Ring. So yes, sometimes I agree Frodo can come across as one of the weaker characters (though we're definitely going to examine that as we go along), but in essence -- if what I just said is true -- then he must have incredible toughness (moral and otherwise), not only to resist the Ring, but (and I guess through using it as a passing trial?) actually developing virtue while holding it, and must really be a fine specimen of a hobbit. I'm looking forward to putting my theory to the test as we go along.

Finally there's Sam making his full grand entrance -- shears, grass clippings, and all. Dear Sam!

Quotes:

"It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night. He walked home under the early stars through Hobbiton and up the Hill, whistling softly and thoughtfully."

"Among the Wise I am the only one that goes in for hobbit-lore: an obscure branch of knowledge, but full of surprises. Soft as butter they can be, and yet sometimes as tough as old tree-roots."

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

"Behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought." 

"My dear Frodo!" exclaimed Gandalf. "Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. I hardly expected to get such an answer, not even from you. But Bilbo made no mistake in choosing his heir, though he little thought how important it would prove."

"Get up, Sam!" said Gandalf. "I have thought of something better than that. Something to shut your mouth, and punish you properly for listening. You shall go away with Mr. Frodo!"

For thought:

-- What stuck out to you in this chapter?

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I would say that Frodo has no pity here. I think he has a lot of pity for things/people he sees and understands, but Gollum is just a character in a story he's been told, and the villain of the piece at that. Once Frodo sees him for himself, he has a lot of pity for Gollum, I think.

    Not saying you're wrong that he doesn't develop more pity while having the ring, I just... don't think he's pitiless to begin with, but rather needs to see Gollum to pity him.

    One thing that struck me this time through was that the idea of Gollum having two natures is already here. Gandalf says that he had "a little corner of his mind that was still his own" (p. 53), and that the evil part "could be conquered... could be cured" (p. 54). Which, of course, we'll see Frodo try to do. I hadn't remembered that this came up so soon.

    And it is really interesting that Gandalf said that he could not make Frodo give up the ring "except by force, which would break your mind" (p. 59). In the end, even Frodo can't make himself give up the ring, and it must be taken from him by force, though thankfully it's not his mind that is broken. Though I suppose you could argue that his continued melancholy and feeling of no longer belonging is a form of brokenness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      Yeah, I guess I came across kinda strong there. ;) I was very much thinking in this particular moment/conversation as directly relates to Gollum.

      What you wrote also made me think of a different aspect, almost a coming of age thing, where younger fry think they have everything figured out, very black and white, but then get confronted with how everything plays out/looks in real life, the complexities. Not that there aren't black and white standards of right and wrong, but learning discernment and wisdom, and how to actually hopefully help people with real compassion takes time and experience, and often actually getting down in the trenches and seeing things first-hand. (Hmm. Not that I think the coming-of-age thing is a huge theme necessarily in LOTR, but that possible aspect of the situation just crossed my mind.)

      Very interesting... and ahh yes, the whole conundrum of Frodo giving up the Ring...! ;P I saw someone write at one point they always thought it crazy that the council gives Frodo the mission when he couldn't throw the ring in his own fireplace at the very beginning. So is that an oversight on Tolkien's part (which seems really unlikely) or is he trying to point out something else? I still don't have a good answer on that one... :p

      Delete
    2. Well, I may have come on kind of strong too ;-)

      And yes, as we age, we can see the areas where the line between black and white gets thinner and thinner. Coming of age may not be a theme, but gaining experience and thus gaining wisdom definitely is!

      I think that Gandalf and Elrond both knew that it was going to be basically impossible for ANYONE to toss the ring into Mt. Doom. Including them. I mean, Elrond was there and could have just kicked Isildur into the fire, but he didn't. Gandalf refuses the ring because he knows he would use it. But they are... hoping for a miracle. And they have proof that Hobbits can withstand the ring's evil influence better than most, thanks to Bilbo, so... they do their best.

      Delete
  2. This was a long chapter, but a great deal of history really had to covered and discussed for the readers to know the true threat of the Ring. Here's my review: https://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2020/10/lotr-read-along-fellowship-of-ring.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy Miranda,
      Yes, exactly. Lots of stuff to be covered, but all very necessary.

      Great! Hoping to pop over and check it out asap.

      Delete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!