Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 1, Chapter 4 // A Short Cut to Mushrooms


This chapter starts out all airy and light, with dappled sunshine, before we slither down the rough hillside and set off into our first bit of wild country (well, y'know, a mini-taste, brambles and briars and all that still nestled in familiar territory). Then the rain shower comes up and we're walking in the woods, and there's the horrible, haunting, frightening moment with the mysterious cries echoing back and forth overhead. The Black Riders are definitely hot on the trail.

Two things jumped out at me that will develop a great deal more as we go along: 1) Sam's wholehearted loyalty to his master and 2) the theme of friendship and help found in unexpected places. I'm really looking forward to following those threads as we continue.

Speaking of which, Farmer Maggot's just THE BEST, isn't he?? A magnificent specimen of a hobbit who keeps dogs. :-) He guards his own little kingdom, with his whole retinue of a family and other farm hands depending on his shrewd, responsible, sturdy stout-heartedness. And his wife gives away baskets of mushrooms as a hospitality gift.

Finally (and this'll come up more), but in different ways Gandalf and Gildor both counseled Frodo not to go alone and to take those who were willing. And it got me thinking on how, in life, we choose our friends, but in another very very real sense, our companions are chosen for us. So that's something to ponder.

Quotes:

  • "I know we are going to take a very long road, into darkness; but I know I can't turn back. It isn't to see Elves now, nor dragons, nor mountains, that I want -- I don't rightly know what I want: but I have something to do before the end, and it lies ahead, not in the Shire. I must see it through, sir, if you understand me."
  • "You slept late, you mean,' said Pippin. 'I was up long before; and we are only waiting for you to finish eating and thinking." (this one just made me smile)
 

For thought:

  • Do you leave room in your day just for thinking?

5 comments:

  1. My favorite quote for this chapter is just before one of yours:
    'The Elves, sir. We had some talk last night; and they seemed to know you were going away, so I didn't see the use of denying it. Wonderful folk, Elves, sir! Wonderful!'

    'They are,' said Frodo. 'Do you like them still, now you have had a closer view?'

    'They seem a bit above my likes and dislikes, so to speak,' answered Sam slowly. 'It don't seem to matter what I think about them. They are quite different from what I expected — so old and young, and so gay and sad, as it were.'

    Frodo looked at Sam rather startled, half expecting to see some outward sign of the odd change that seemed to have come over him. It did not sound like the voice of the old Sam Gamgee that he thought he knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      Oh yes indeed, so deep and thoughtful and lovely. <3 Also, Sam's character development -- from young starry-eyed gardener to a genuine hero (while still keeping that real sweetness) -- is one of my favorite things through the story; it's such an ongoing beacon of light.

      Delete
  2. I once read a rather fantastic post or thread or something asking that, if Frodo was out of the picture, who could have taken the ring to Mordor successfully? And the consensus was that Farmer Maggot would have done the job quite nicely. Isn't he a brick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      I remember you mentioning that! I'd never thought of it, but he definitely could at that. He's absolutely a brick.

      Delete
  3. Finally got my review in!https://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2020/10/lotr-read-along-fellowship-of-ring_19.html

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!