Saturday, December 5, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 2, Chapter 4 // A Journey in the Dark

(Isn't this picture amazing?)

Pictures aside, I think this chapter and the next are still very probably my least favorite in the entire book. That said, this one is exciting -- what with all the mysterious wolves, the dark pool filled with slimy wriggling arms, getting into Moria, and the whole long long march in the dark.

I do enjoy the whole episode at the gate with Gandalf searching so hard for the password and sensible Merry being on the right track from the beginning.

Once inside, Moria does sound mind-boggling. And I love the description of Aragorn treading along at the back, still not at all thrilled about the turn of events, but grimly being a good sport and serving as rear-guard. On previous reads somehow I always felt like Gandalf knew exactly what he was doing, so it's interesting to notice this time around how often he's unsure of the right path. He's a Maia/angelic being -- so in an entirely different category, with an additional wealth of knowledge and long memory of the elder days -- but I've been really struck this time around by how he still counsels with Aragorn and takes his word/even follows his lead into the snow and all that. Which of course, the truly wise and humble do -- knowing how much Unknown there is running all through and round any decision, and the uncertainty of all roads.

This chapter definitely leaves us smack dab in the middle of things, so I'm looking forward to getting Chapter 5 up early next week. Let us onward!

Quotes:

  • "There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The fire leapt from tree-top to tree-top. The whole hill was crowned with dazzling light. The swords and knives of the defenders shone and flickered. The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew..."
  • "Behind them the sinking Sun filled the cool western sky with glimmering gold."
  • "The others looked dismayed; only Aragorn, who knew Gandalf well, remained silent and unmoved."

 

For thought:

  • Pippin's fascination with the well/dropping in the stone reminds me of Digory's waking of Jadis in The Magician's Nephew. Both bring up similar questions. In here, do you think it was all just Pippin messing around or were there darker forces at work?

3 comments:

  1. Nitpick: The singular of Maiar is Maia.

    "this chapter and the next are still very probably my least favorite in the entire book."

    What?! I am not sure what my least favorite chapter is but it would definitely be something from Book I. Book II is so much more interesting!

    In The Hobbit we hear about the Dwarves's longing for the glory of ancient days, but we don't really get a chance to feel it the way we do here.

    The moment that Boromir throws a stone that disturbs the thing in the pool caught my attention this time because of the parallel with Pippin. I don't have anything to add, I just thought it was interesting.

    I love the Song of Durin! Clavami de Profundis has a great version on Youtube:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxfoa23skHg

    My favorite quote -
    'These are not holes,' said Gimli. 'This is the great realm and city of the Dwarrowdelf. And of old, it was not darksome, but full of light and splendor, as is still remembered in our songs.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      *face palm* Thanks for catching that! Guess that's what comes of trying to multitask while writing at night. xD

      Haha. Well, I think it's because I'm always so sad about poor Sam and Bill etc. etc.

      Yes! I've been thinking about the Dwarves a lot more this time around and how much culture they have/had. Of course, Gimli is our prominent dwarf throughout, but I really enjoyed the evocative description of Dain's actions that we had at the council earlier.

      And that's funny. I was thinking along those lines re Pippin and Boromir as well :), but yeah, couldn't think of a direct link exactly. It's definitely interesting though... let me know if you have any other thoughts on it as we go along.

      Ooh, thanks for the link! I look forward to checking it out asap.

      Delete
  2. It's mentioned a couple times that something was drawing people's fascination to that well, so I do think something darker was at work, not just Pippin's natural noseyness.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!