Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring // Book 2, Chapter 8 // Farewell to Lorien

I'm back, I'm back! My dear husband got me a lovely working laptop for Christmas AND I found another audio version of LOTR that works (sit down reading time is honestly reeeaally hard to fit in during this current season) so the cogs are all flowing together smoothly and the stars have aligned and I'm back with our next chapter. :) :) Thank you so much for your patience!

Also, I had to share pictures of our very own mallorn tree in the garden. (Actually, we're trying to figure out if it's a cottonwood or poplar. Point is, we call it our blessing tree as it was a completely surprise volunteer, creating very very welcome shade near the house, and has shot up like a weed, literally growing about ten feet this year. It's amazing.)

~

As for our chapter... 

Near the beginning Celeborn says, "Now is the time... when those who wish to continue the Quest must harden their hearts to leave this land. Those who no longer wish to go forward may remain here, for a while. But whether they stay or go, none can be sure of peace. For we are come now to the edge of doom. Here those who wish may await the oncoming of the hour till either the ways of the world lie open again, or we summon them to the last need of Lorien. Then they may return to their own lands, or else go to the long home of those that fall in battle."

I love how, like Elrond, he gives any who are fainthearted an honorable out. They're standing on the knife edge of a dark crumbling precipice and there are no sure calls. At the same time, hope is a definite theme of this chapter. Not in a rosy we-know-how-it's-all-going-to-work-out-so-don't-worry-about-it-fashion, but in the way of warriors grimly going forth. They're going to do or die in the attempt, but the fight is worth it and there's light on the horizon.

I'm also realizing how much I like Gimli's character. Near the end of the chapter he says, 

"Truly Elrond spoke, saying that we could not foresee what we might meet upon our road. Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy." 

Which of course reminds me as always of one of my favorite Lewis quotes, 

“Joy is distinct not only from pleasure in general but even from aesthetic pleasure. It must have the stab, the pang, the inconsolable longing.” 

Both quotes are just... words fail me. <333


Quotes:

  • "Sleep in peace! Do not trouble your hearts overmuch with thought of the road tonight. Maybe the paths that you each shall tread are already laid before your feet, though you do not see them."
  • "...Aragorn answered: 'Lady, you know all my desire, and long held in keeping the only treasure that I seek. Yet it is not yours to give me, even if you would; and only through darkness shall I come to it.' 'Yet maybe this will lighten your heart,' said Galadriel; 'for it was left in my care to be given to you, should you pass through this land.' Then she lifted from her lap a great stone of a clear green, set in a silver brooch that was wrought in the likeness of an eagle with outspread wings; and as she held it up the gem flashed like the sun shining through the leaves of spring. 'This stone I gave to Celebrian my daughter, and she to hers; and now it comes to you as a token of hope. In this hour take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil!' Then Aragorn took the stone and pinned the brooch upon his breast, and those who saw him wondered; for they had not marked before how tall and kingly he stood, and it seemed to them that many years of toil had fallen from his shoulders." (Love the phrasing + references to Arwen.)
  • "...the Lady unbraided one of her long tresses, and cut off three golden hairs, and laid them in Gimli's hand. 'These words shall go with the gift,' she said. 'I do not foretell, for all foretelling is now vain: on the one hand lies darkness, and on the other only hope. But if hope should not fail, then I say to you, Gimli son of Gloin, that your hands shall flow with gold, and yet over you gold shall have no dominion."

 

For thought:

  • I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I'm curious. Do any of you know the difference between 'Lorien' and 'Lothlorien'? Tolkien seems to use them interchangeably sometimes. Is Lorien just a short hand reference?

2 comments:

  1. This is a very quotable chapter! Some of my favorites:
    "'Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

    'I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves. 'They are fair garments, and the web is good, for it was made in this land. They are Elvish robes certainly, if that is what you mean. Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the hue and beauty of all these things under the twilight of Lórien that we love."

    And Gimli and Legolas:
    "But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale.'

    'Maybe,' said Gimli; 'and I thank you for your words. True words doubtless; yet all such comfort is cold. Memory is not what the heart desires. That is only a mirror, be it clear as Kheled-zâram. Or so says the heart of Gimli the Dwarf. Elves may see things otherwise."

    Regarding the name Lothlorien: loth means flower (in Sindarin) and Lorien is the name of the gardens in Valinor that are associated with dreams and healing. I think someone at some point calls it the Dream-flower (because that sounds better than Flower-dream, I suppose).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAUGHT UP!!!

    Whew.

    Anyway. I love your tree. I guess you'll find out if it's a cottonwood or not pretty easily, when spring comes. There were so many cottonwoods in CT that the shoulders of the roads looked like it had snowed in the spring because of all their cotton seed puffs!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to have your thoughts! Just please keep it respectful and civil. Also, if someone else has left a comment you’d like to reply to -- feel free!